Tuesday, October 8, 2013

pillow talk.

since i've been living on my own i've discovered that i am, despite all my family might say contrary, a light sleeper. one time, my roommate, rosie, left her cell phone in our living room while all of us roommates took a sunday afternoon nap. my room was the furthest room from the living room but when her alarm went off i was the only one to get up in aggravation at the persistent ringing. rosie also woke me up once by repeatedly yelling, "Eff. Eff. EFF!" in her sleep. it was a weird night.

Because this is how Trevor and I look whilst canoodling in bed.
Also because I love Rock Hudson.


i've learned since being married that while trevor is also a light sleeper we have completely different sleeping habits. for example, trevor falls asleep on average in less than a five minutes. most nights i am too busy thinking to sleep. about dinner for the next day. about school. about decorating. about family. about clothes. about movies. about how in the heck do you turn on a radiator?! about basically my entire life. trevor "wakes up" to almost all of my movements in bed. (especially when i put my icicle toes on his warm feet.) i say that he "wakes up" because he is actually never completely, coherently awake. he just mumbles some strangled remark about being worried about me and grabs me reassuringly. which, is actually quite sweet. i don't hate it at all. 

last night i woke both of us up with a random coughing fit. does that ever happen to anyone but me? it's the worst. i feel like i'll never stop coughing and thus, never sleep again. trevor shoots up off his pillow and begins his stream of mumbled concerns. i, on the other hand, am completely awake. i inform him i'm fine and stumble into the kitchen for water. when i get back to bed trevor is attempting some kind of joke about my coughing spell. i'm actually not even sure if he realizes i wasn't in bed, let alone the bedroom. i just decide to shut that down and comfort him back to a soundless sleep.

i've discussed these incidents with trevor previously and he literally has no idea what i'm talking about. trevor never remembers the time he grabbed me, mid-sleep, and informed me, "i'm right here. you're okay. don't you know i'm here?" he doesn't even remember checking the entire house for rapists i thought must be lurking in our creepy basement! he occasionally has entire conversations with me without any recollection. in contrast, i can wake up to trevor asking me where his wallet is and immediately answer his question without the skip of a beat or get out of bed and find the wallet myself. 

i can't decide which one of us is the crazy one.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I'm going to struggle sharing a bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha It's not as bad as you might think... There's lots of cuddling! I like that.

    ReplyDelete