Wednesday, September 11, 2013

back at it, yo.

okay folks.

i started a new blog, again. i know, i know, i know. i've convinced myself that the reason i never fully committed to blogging in the first place was because i never enjoyed my blog aesthetically and hence all my posts seemed underwhelming to me. i would post and think, "bleh. i guess that'll do." 

my dreamy husband, trevor j. free, has been trying to convince me to blog again basically since we started dating. i finally explained to him my underwhelmed-ness about the look of my blog and he was convinced i could make one pretty all by my technology-stupid self. said by the man who taught himself how to play drums AND guitar (saaaah-woon). so, i'm doing it. or trying at least. the things i have yet to figure out:

those twitter, pinterest, facebook follow tag things... many hours of wasted attempts though.

how the heck to do i get my photos and header to not be mounted? like this:

but, like, imagine that GQ man jamming out on drums.
panty melter. 


how do i put those side links that link to my about page? and like, LDS.org?

also, i think one of those instagram photo feeds would be nice.

but isn't my header so hip? and i figured out how to use cute fonts! so feel free to shower me with design compliments and ADVICE. seriously, i'm struggling. hard.

HALP!

6 comments:

  1. The green you selected is impossible to read, but I love the header. You should ask Kaylie Hooser (Anderson) for help with all this, or just follow her tutorials as she posts them. That's what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I though it was only hard to read on that last grey info box. I love chartreuse! I NEED any help I can get though! I'm glad you like the header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get Photoshop, you can create a different chartreuse and use the hex color code to employ it. Something slighter darker would even be better, or if you had a gray background or something.

      Delete
  3. Jenny! I'm going to come to your rescue. This might be a long comment. ;)

    So to get rid of the 'mount' around your images, go to your Blogger dashboard, template, advanced, scroll down to CSS, and "add css." Copy and paste this code into it:

    .post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container, .Profile img, .Image img,
    .BlogList .item-thumbnail img {
    padding: none !important;
    border: none !important;
    background: none !important;
    -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;
    box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important;}

    Hit enter a few times, save, and it should be gone!

    For the tabs and social buttons, I use Photoshop, but you should go to a site called Picmonkey.com and use an app called Studio.

    Both are GREAT for blog design. You can use the circles and other shapes they have and then upload your own images or type your own text. Does that make sense? Just play around with the site a little. It's pretty user friendly. The way to put social icons on your blog is the same way you put tabs like "about" and "believe" and stuff. Just use my tabs tutorial. :)

    NOW. For the Instagram: go to snapwidget.com, enter all your info (I suggest a 250px size, no frame, and a fade in effect), and copy the HTML code it gives you. Next, go to your Blogger, layout, new widget, HTML/Java script, and paste the code there. You can move your widgets around so they're in the order you want them.

    PHEW! Does that all make sense? Haha Let me know if you have any questions!
    Ps. LOVE the header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the input, I wanna throw my blog in the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noo! You can spruce it up easily yourself! (It just takes a little time) I post blog tutorials every month at www.kayliemarie.com
      Or if you don't want to learn, I design blogs as well! :)

      Delete